Monday, May 10, 2010

'Sketch Review' by Khadijah Khalifah Muhammad


I completed reading the novel, ‘A Sketch Of Tranquility’, by Emblem and “WOW” is the first word that comes to mind.

I found ASOT to be pleasurably feisty and forceful. Supremely written, A Sketch Of Tranquility is sexy, sizzling, funny, inspirational, and heartbreaking. Emblem did not waste our time with a watered down version of life. His depiction of the lives of the two main characters, Tranquility and Infinite, is adult, raw, open, realistic, honest, and very close to home for many of us, I’m sure. Quite often, I found myself putting the book down to reminisce of moments where I may have experienced similar situations as superbly illustrated in ASOT. Over and over again, I found myself laughing out loud, angry, sad, melancholy or in the mood for love….

If you’re looking for some good, solid, adult reading over the Spring and Summer, I highly recommend A Sketch Of Tranquility. As well, it would make a great addition to your book club, as ASOT offers a wealth of opportunities for character and situational analysis.

Hats off to you Emblem, job well done!!!

Khadijah Khalifah Muhammad.